Modified from: Hippressurecooking
Italian Beef Stew over Mashed Parsnips in the Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds grass fed beef stew
- 1 sprig of rosemary, de-stemmed and finely chopped (about 1 teaspoon) or 1 Tsp dried
- 1 medium red onion, roughly diced
- 1 celery stalk, cut into ½-inch slices
- ½ cup red wine (any tart, non-sweet red, like Chianti or Sangiovese)
- 1 cup Homemade beef stock or organic store bought
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or more to taste
- 1 8 oz. package of pre-sliced baby Bella organic mushrooms
- 2 large carrots, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
- 5 Large Parsnips
- Garlic powder
- Almond milk
- Preheat the pressure cooker (by pressing brown/sauté mode).
- Add the olive oil and sear the beef cubes on one side (about 5 minutes). Add rosemary, onions, celery, red wine, stock, salt, and pepper. Mix the contents of the pressure cooker well. Sprinkle the mushrooms and carrots on top of the stew mixture.
- Close the lid and set the valve to pressure cooking position.
- Set Pressure Cooker for 20 minutes at high pressure.
- In the meantime, in a small pan melt the butter and drizzle with flour. Mix into a paste and let it cook until the butter begins to make bubbles in the flour.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker with the Slow Normal release - release the pressure very slowly through the valve.
- Add about 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid from the pressure cooker into the little pan with the flour paste and mix well to loosen the paste. Then, pour the mixture back into the pressure cooker base and mix well.
- Bring the contents of the pressure cooker to a boil (by pressing brown/sauté mode) and let it simmer until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- For the Parsnips:
- Bring a pot of water to boiling. Peel Parsnips and cut into small discs or cubes. Simmer for 12 minutes.
- Drain and mash with butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley and almond milk. If you want it really smooth (like I like it), Use an immersion blender.
- Serve the beef stew over the mashed parsnips and enjoy!!